Image Map

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Puppy Chow

I had tons of leftover chex, from the Nori Furikake Chex Mix, so I decided to make some puppy chow.

My good friend Riki was the first person to show me this recipe.  I've known Riki since elementary school, so I'm not sure exactly when she first showed me, but it was at an age where we probably weren't trusted with sharp knives that would be needed for anything more difficult. So probably sometime last year... lol just kidding!

It is definitely a good girl's get together food, and I am pretty sure we first made this at a sleepover.   It is super easy to make, tastes amazing, and has all the elements of a good recipe for friends to make together:

A) You get to shake everything at the end
B) No oven, no stove, just a microwave
C) You get to fight over who gets to lick the bowl vs spoon
D) There's no waiting for them to cool down like baked goods, where someone always burns their tongue, usually me

Okay that makes me sound like a special ed kid, but really sometimes simple is better, especially when you're doing nails, watching movies, and making something delicious all in the same night.

 I've heard this called "Muddy Buddies," or less commonly, "Monkey Munch." The name Muddy Buddies just sounds disturbing to me... I mean seriously...

So puppy chow it is!

Puppy Chow

1 cup of dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 tbs vanilla extract
2 cups of powdered sugar
9 cups of chex, rice or corn or both

Ready for shaking!!
Put the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter in a bowl and microwave for a minute, stirring halfway through. The mixture should be completely melted at this point, but if not, keep microwaving for 30 second intervals, stirring well in between until it is completely smooth. Stir in the vanilla and pour over the chex. Stir the chex until all the pieces are well coated.  Place one cup of powdered sugar into two ziploc bags, and divide the chex mixture between the two bags.  Close the bag, without squeezing any air out, and shake vigorously until the chex are covered evenly in the sugar and are no longer sticky. Pour out of bags into a pan and let cool, if they make it that long.

Coated in chocolatey goodness
See Also:
Nori Furikake Chex Mix: Hapa Food

No comments:

Post a Comment